Join Gunner as he goes over all the important Rock dates in history weekdays at 3:50. Relive all the chart-topping moments, milestones, bad breakups and first times again.
There will be no hall pass today. Here’s what happened today in Rock N’ Roll.
1922 Author Jack Kerouac (On The Road) is born. He dies in 1969.
1931 Actor Billie “Buckwheat“ Thomas (The Little Rascals) is born. He dies in 1980.
1978 Actor John Cazale (The Godfather‘s Fredo, Dog Day Afternoon, The Deer Hunter) dies at age 41.
1991 R.E.M. releases Out Of Time.
1992 Tammy Faye Bakker announces she is divorcing her husband, Jim Bakker, after 31 years of marriage. The former evangelist gets the news at the Federal Medical Center in Minnesota, where he is serving an 18-year sentence for swindling his followers.
1992 Actors Warren Beatty and Annette Bening are married.
1996 The Kiss Unplugged album and home video are released.
1996 Stone Temple Pilots‘ 1992 debut album, Core, is certified six-times platinum for selling over six million copies.
2001 Author Robert Ludlum (The Bourne Identity) dies at age 73.
2002 Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge announces a five-level, color-coded terror alert system. The lowest level is green, followed by blue, yellow, orange, and red as perceived dangers intensify. The code is later ridiculed for overuse.
2007 The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame welcomes its Class Of 2007 as R.E.M. is inducted by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder, Patti Smith is inducted by Rage Against The Machine frontman Zach De La Rocha, and Van Halen is inducted by Velvet Revolver‘s Scott Weiland and Slash. Only singer Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony are on hand to represent Van Halen.
2007 Metallica begins recording its ninth studio album, eventually called Death Magnetic, in San Francisco.
- Steve Harris (bassist, Iron Maiden) (63)
- Claudio Sanchez (frontman, Coheed and Cambria) (41)
- Graham Coxon (guitarist, Blur) (50)
- Ron Jeremy (porn star) (66)
- Pete Doherty (singer, Babyshambles; former boyfriend of model Kate Moss) (40)
- Jaimie Alexander (actress, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Blindspot (35)
- Aaron Eckhart (actor, In the Company of Men, Erin Brokovich, No Reservations, “Harvey Dent” in The Dark Knight, Battle: Los Angeles, Olympus Has Fallen) (51)
- Liza Minnelli (singer-actress, Cabaret, Arthur; daughter of Judy Garland) (73)
- Barbara Feldon (actress, Get Smart‘s Agent 99) (86)
- Darryl Strawberry (Former pro baseball player) (57)
- Mitt Romney (former governor of Massachusetts and 2012 Republican presidential candidate, U.S. senator from Utah) (72)
And that’s what happened today in Rock ‘N’ Roll…