Join Gunner as he goes over all the important Rock dates in history weekdays at 3:50. Relive all the chart-topping moments, milestones, bad breakups and first times again.
There will be no hall pass today. Here’s what happened today in Rock N’ Roll.
1966 John Lennon says “the Beatles are probably bigger than Jesus right now” during an interview in London.
1994 Four extremists are convicted in New York of the World Trade Center bombing that killed six people and injured more than a thousand.
1994 Actor-comedian John Candy (SCTV, Stripes, Splash, Spaceballs, Uncle Buck, JFK) dies at age 43.
1994 Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain is found in a coma by his wife, Courtney Love, in their room at the Excelsior Hotel in Rome at 6:15 A.M. Cobain is taken to a hospital, where his stomach is pumped. It is determined that he has taken at least 50 Rohypnol pills, which are similar to Valium and Xanax. Representatives insist that this is an accidental overdose.
1997 Alice In Chains‘ self-titled third album is certified double platinum.
1997 U2 releases the album Pop.
1999 Korn‘s Follow The Leader album, the first effort by the group to debut at Number One on the Billboard Top 200, is certified double platinum.
2002 Limp Bizkit begins work on their fourth album without a replacement for departed guitarist Wes Borland in place.
2003 The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd is reissued as a Super Audio CD (SACD), with both a 5.1 Surround Sound mix and a newly remastered stereo mix.
2003 Evanescence releases its major label debut, Fallen.
2004 Anthrax parts with longtime bassist Frank Bello, who later rejoins the band.
2009 Papa Roach celebrates the 10th anniversary of the band’s signing to a major label with a show in Los Angeles at the Troubadour club, where the band was discovered.
2018 Stone Temple Pilots are joined by actor Johnny Depp and legendary MC5 guitarist Wayne Kramer on stage at the opening show of the band’s U.S. tour in Santa Clarita, California. The show also launches STP’s first tour with new singer Jeff Gutt.
- Jason Newsted (former bassist, Metallica) (56)
- Evan Dando (singer/guitarist, the Lemonheads) (52)
- Jeremiah Green (drummer, Modest Mouse) (42)
- Steven Weber (actor, The Flamingo Kid, Hamburger Hill, Wings, Jeffrey, Leaving Las Vegas) (58)
- Mykelti Williamson (actor, Forrest Gump‘s Bubba, Con Air, Three Kings, The Fugitive) (59)
- Catherine O’Hara (actress, SCTV, Beetlejuice, the Home Alone movies, Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, For Your Consideration) (65)
- Chaz Bono (formerly known as Chastity before undergoing sex change operation; child of Cher and the late Sonny Bono) (50)
- Len Wiseman (director, Live Free or Die Hard, Underworld, Underworld: Evolution, Total Recall; ex-husband of actress Kate Beckinsale) (46)
- Whitney Port (reality TV star, The Hills, The City) (34)
And that’s what happened today in Rock ‘N’ Roll…